Spiced Bitter Gourd Yogurt
Awaken your five taste sensations with this harmonious blend of yogurt, bitter gourd and spices.
Recipe by Mythyli Nagaraj
2 bitter gourd sliced thin (dark green, medium size variety)
2 green chilies slit in half
1 tomato sliced into quarters
1 onion sliced
3/4 tsp red chili powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp coriander powder
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup yogurt
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
Salt to taste
Oil as needed
1. Heat a small amount of oil in a pot and saute the bittergourd pieces on medium heat until light brown color.
2. Add onions and green chilies into the pot and fry for a few minutes.
3. Add chili, coriander and turmeric powders and 1 tbsp of water. Stir to mix the ingredients well.
4. Add tomato and salt. Cook until tomatoes are soft, then add coconut milk and water (if necessary). Bring to a slow boil.
5. Remove from heat and allow the dish to cool.
6. Add beaten yogurt and mix well.
7. Heat a small amount of oil in a pan, saute mustard seeds curry leaves and cumin seeds until fragrant and pour the spices over the curry. Serve chilled.
Leave a Reply