Bitter Gourd Curry
A nice strong and flavorful bitter curry complemented with aromatic basmati rice.
Recipe by Mythili Nagaraj
2-3 medium-sized bitter gourds (deseeded and cut into thin slices, dark green variety)
1 onion (finely chopped)
2 tomatoes (chopped)
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp red chili powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp dried mango powder
salt to taste
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 pinch sugar
Optional: 2-3 green chilies (finely chopped)
1/4 tsp garam masala (Mixed Indian spices)
1. Heat oil in a pan.
2. Add cumin seeds and once it begins to sizzle, add in onions and green chilies. Fry onions until tender and brown.
3. Add in tomatoes, ginger-garlic paste and dried mango powder.
4. Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt. Saute to blend in the spices and continue cooking until the oil separates.
5. Add salt and sliced bitter gourd, cover and cook for 7-8 minutes or until the bitter gourd is cooked.
6. Sprinkle garam masala on top and serve hot with basmati rice.
Leave a Reply